IN THIS ISSUE
New Fiscal Year/ New Board
The SCRR calendar just flipped to a new year. You can tell because the Grand Prix started over and you have some new faces at the table on club meeting nights. Your new board (full list of names and positions below like always) is rarin’ to go with a focus on Unity. We want everyone to feel included so we’re mixing it up a little on the social side. Be on the lookout for lots of opportunities to mingle. It’s hard to get to know people, unless you consistently pace with them on runs, which is why we are going to add some new non-running adventures to the schedule.
First up is kayaking and SUP around the backbay on Sunday morning, August 7th. Block your calendar. Details coming soon.
Mid-September brings back the post-Monday night run potluck/BBQ. No need to run to join the party. Date TBD.
Some of us love to go on runcations because it combines travel with racing. Our social co-chairs are going to tell you about the out-of-town races that give us all a reason to explore new parts of the country, in addition to getting that free banana in the chute after the finish line.
Part of being unified is being informed. If you aren’t a member of the members only Facebook page, please let us know. We will gladly invite any member in good standing. Also, if you aren’t receiving the emails from SouthCoastRoadrunners@gmail.com (used to show David Schiller as the From. Now it shows me, Nicole Herold.), let me know and I’ll work to correct your email in RunSignup.
Fun facts about your board:
- Nicole used to do sleep research on naked mole rats.
- Steve Whitson is a good slow pitch softball pitcher.
- Victor Gambone was 65 when he found out he had a 36-year-old daughter. (She’s lovely and super nice, too!)
- Steve Ireland only spoke Italian until he was six years old.
- Stephen Castaneda is a huge boxing fan. He’s gone to many fights and even owns an autographed glove signed by Mike Tyson.
- Valerie Freeman is an amazing quilter. Her designs are beautiful.
- Barbara Eckes is a voracious reader. In 2021 she read or listened to 103 books!
- Sara Song had a middle school teacher who predicted she would be a long-distance runner. She thought the teacher said it just to be nice.
I am super excited for the year to come. I hope you are, too. If at any time you have ideas, concerns, or questions, please don’t hesitate to talk to any of the board members. We are all here to make your SCRR experience the best it can be.
Sign up for the banquet! Prices went up to $35, but all the food, drinks, and fun you’ll have are worth so much more. See below for more details.
Ways to be involved/get prepared for a fun night.
- Add your favorite dance songs to our private Spotify playlist.
- Send your prom pictures to Amanda at firstname.lastname@example.org to include in our slideshow.
- Get raffles prizes to donate. Tell Michelle Ren at email@example.com what you’re bringing.
- Don’t forget to bring cash to buy raffle tickets!
- Plan to attend the pre-party at Smokestone pool at 2pm. Bring something delicious to share, but no glass allowed.
Official USATF World Championships Watch Party
There is a very cool opportunity to watch the USATF World Championships with hundreds of other Track & Field enthusiasts on Sunday, July 24 from 4 – 8pm at UCLA – Drake Stadium. There will be a DJ, games, giveaways, food, and beverages. RSVP for free tickets.
Bob Morris shared this news at the meeting this week. There may be carpool opportunities from the 4 Snail’s Pace stores. Contact Bob @ firstname.lastname@example.org to join a carpool and/or where to meet at the stadium so you can cheer alongside your friends.
- Heather Grant – 7/1
- Ron Brugger – 7/6
- Katrina Blake – 7/8
- Stacey LaRuffa – 7/8
- Sorrel Hanson – 7/9
- Stephan Castaneda – 7/19
- Barbara Eckes – 7/26
- Justin O’Brien – 7/30
Grand Prix Standings
Come to the banquet for the 2021/2022 final standings. The 2022/2023 season first race is on the books. Woodbridge 4th of July 5K/10K was back and SCRR kicked some a$$.
SCRR 2022/2023 Board Members
Nicole Herold – President
Steve Whitson – Vice President
vacant seat – Secretary
Victor Gambone – Treasurer
Steve Ireland – Member At Large/Grand Prix Race Coordinator
Stephen Castaneda – Member At Large
Valerie Freeman – Member At Large
Barbara Eckes & Sara Song – Co-Social Chairs
Jackie Chen – Saturday Run Coordinator
Treasurer’s Report By Victor Gambone
|Total Cash Balance, Beginning June 1, 2022||3,944.52|
* Membership $440.00
* Merchandise $40.00
* Recognition Banquet $180
* Club Meeting/Pizza $261.61
* RunSignUp fee $48.96
* Website Fees $50
|Net Change in Cash||299.43|
|Total Cash Balance, Ending June 30, 2022||4,234.95|