IN THIS ISSUE
We Love Our Members
February is the month of hearts & flowers, so we’re going to highlight our Runners of the Month to show just how much we love them.
Get to know them better by reading the answers to the 10 questions I asked.
- When did you start running? – Eighth grade
- Why? – My best friend and I decided to join the school track team. We chose track because it was the only sport offered which had a “no-cut” policy. That way we were guaranteed to avoid the junior high school embarrassment of being cut from a sports team.
- What was your 1st race? – We both signed up for the 100-yard dash. Yes, yards, it was that long ago. We figured the 100 was the shortest distance available, so it must be the easiest. As you can see, we were both real go-getters.
- How did it go? – Not bad, but not great either. Neither my friend nor I had the speed for the 100. Our coach moved me up to the 400 and 800 and I eventually set the school record in the 400. My friend switched over to the high jump and was our team’s best jumper.
- What is your current running goal? – I’d like to go back to Boston. It’s been over 10 years since I’ve run a BQ. I’m about to start a training cycle for a spring marathon, so wish me luck.
- Where do you like to run? – Like most of us I prefer running on trails. It’s easier on your legs, you get to enjoy nature, and the odds of getting hit by a car go down considerably.
- What race is on your bucket list? – I’ve done so many great races, I don’t know if I have a bucket list. I’d like to do more destination races. It’s always fun to travel somewhere new and running is a great excuse to do so. My sister is a runner and we’ve run a few marathons together. I’d like to do more races with her.
- What is your favorite distance? – The 800 meters is still my favorite distance. I much prefer a race where you’re in extreme physical distress for a minute or two compared to a race where you spend a couple of hours feeling miserable.
- What else do you do for fun? – I’m a professional artist/animator so I like to spend a lot of my time drawing and animating.
- What else should we know about you? – You should ask me how many Pez dispensers I own.
- When did you start running? – February 2020
- Why? – I like to be active. After pausing for a year from a Taekwondo club, I was looking for a running or biking club to engage myself for regular workout. When I do it by myself, it’s irregular and I’m less motivated.
- What was your 1st race? – Sep 2021, Surf City Half Marathon
- How did it go? – Very well, I enjoyed it a lot.
- What is your current running goal? – Survive my first Marathon, LA Marathon in March 2022. Attend every club run if not sick or out of town.
- Where do you like to run? – SCRR Sat trails, run at national park.
- What race is on your bucket list? – Feb 6 Surf City Half, March 20 LA Marathon, another half marathon in late fall/winter.
- What is your favorite distance? – 10 – 12 miles
- What else do you do for fun? – Watching k-drama, making crafts, writing.
- What else should we know about you? – I am passionate about love of Jesus, airplane, & personal improvements
- When did you start running? – 2010
- Why? – In 2009 my friend asked if I wanted to run the Disney half with him. I said no, but he did, and he wasn’t even that athletic. I decided the next year that if he could do it so could I.
- What was your 1st race? – See above. The first of many Disney races.
- How did it go? – It went really well. I was concerned that I wouldn’t hit the time limit, but I had no problem and finished in 1:57
- What is your current running goal? – Boston 2 Big Sur in April
- Where do you like to run? – SCRR runs, wherever they are. I don’t have a specific favorite running route.
- What race is on your bucket list? – London, which I’ll do in Oct this year, and Tokyo, which will be my 6th World Marathon Major
- What is your favorite distance? – Half marathon, because you can train & it doesn’t drain too much out of you.
- What else do you do for fun? – Play tennis, visit tikki bars, go to the theater (all kinds), and hiking
- What else should we know about you? – Boston 2021 was a dream come true. When I started running it wasn’t even in the realm of possibility. My goals were to just break 4 hours. Then it was to qualify with enough cushion to get a registration spot. I just kept plugging away & kept showing up.
- When did you start running? – 2018ish
- Why? – Peer pressure & the desire to live a healthier lifestyle.
- What was your 1st race? – Dana Point Turkey Trot
- How did it go? – Very slow. The course was extremely crowded and we were forced to walk parts of it.
- What is your current running goal? – My goal is just to be able to run again. I’ve been dealing with injury since July/August of 2021.
- Where do you like to run? – If not my parking lot, the three piers route starting from Newport Beach to the wedge.
- What race is on your bucket list? – If there is an African safari race, I’d be up for it.
- What is your favorite distance? – 10k
- What else do you do for fun? – Read, Travel, stuff my face with really good food.
- What else should we know about you? – You’ll just have to ask her privately
Nominate a ZIP
Zealios wants to reward team members just like we do. Here’s what they have to say.
Friends don’t let friends skip their SPF, forget their chamois cream, or head out on race day without a little pep talk. We all have that very special person who is always there for members of the team. They will go out of their way to cheer everyone on, pick up pacing duties, or come to team meet up’s early to make sure everyone is welcomed. They are called Z.I.P’s at Zealios, and it’s time to recognize them!
Once per month through the remainder of 2022, Zealios will choose a new ZIP to recognize. This special teammate will receive the spotlight on Zealios social media channels and receive a basket of goodies from us. In a year with continued challenges all around, we want to honor those who lift us up and spread a little happiness along the way.
To nominate a ZIP, simply fill out this form
- Max Biessmann – 2/1
- Lisa Guedes – 2/2
- Kelcey Kinjo – 2/5
- Armando Moran – 2/5
- Danny Stein – 2/6
- Jennifer Walt – 2/9
- Ana Laura Silva – 2/16
- Shawn Fidler – 2/18
- Ken Atterholt – 2/22
- John Clinton – 2/25
- Alex Cheung – 2/26
- Gary Hefner – 2/27
- Steve Whitson – 2/27
Grand Prix Standings
The standings didn’t see much movement this month after our private Backbay race. It’s really a game of participating. If you don’t race, you don’t get points. See the full list of participants here.
- Barbara Eckes
- Steve Ireland
- Mike Dietz
- Luke Friedl
- Ken Atterholt
- Greg Hanssen
- Cathy Shargay
- Joel Whitson
- Mike Friedl
- Sarah Cabellero
SCRR 2021/2022 Board Members
David Schiller – President
Scott LaRuffa – Vice President
Margot Johnson – Secretary
Victor Gambone – Treasurer
Joanna Pallo – Member At Large
Barbara Eckes – Member At Large
Jade Berniard – Member At Large
Michelle Ren & Jackie Chen – Co-Social Chairs
Treasurer’s Report By Victor Gambone
|Total Cash Balance, Beginning January 1, 2022||5,416.97|
* Membership $210.00
* Club Meeting/Pizza $200.86
* RunSignUp fee $13.44
* Website fees $50.00
|Net Change in Cash||(54.30)|
|Total Cash Balance, Ending January 31, 2022||5,362.67|