All SCRR members & guests should be aware of these guidelines to ensure everyone’s safety on club runs.
- Runners are advised to run on the sidewalk or bike path at all times.
Per the City of Irvine Municipal Code Ordinance number 192: Pedestrians are prohibited from proceeding along a bicycle path or lane where an adjacent adequate pedestrian facility exists.
- Obey all traffic laws. Do not cross a street against a red light.
- Wear a reflective vest, light or reflective clothing when running at night. Carry a light if running on an unlit course.
- Carry emergency identification and phone numbers at all times. Do not leave an injured (or otherwise stopped) runner alone.
- Know the route, or run with someone who does and be courteous to other runners, walkers, roller-bladers, bikers, and of course, drivers.
- Share the path. Run on the right side of the bike path and allow room for bikes to pass in both directions.
- Carry adequate water, particularly during long runs, trail runs, and in warm weather.
- Do not wear headphones during club runs and be alert at all times.
A good place to pick up the safety equipment mentioned is at our sponsor A Snail's Pace. Use your 10% discount and buy a Reflective Vest.
Some of the injuries our friends have incurred include: a broken leg, broken shoulder, concussion, rib fractures and some cracked vertebrae. Let's stay safe out there!